The glass is half ___.
The stories we tell about ourselves, they’re almost like our infrastructure – like railroads or highways. We can build them almost any way we want to, but once they are in place this whole inner landscape grows up around them. So maybe the point here is to be careful about how you tell your story, or at least conscience of it, because once you’ve told it, once you’ve built the highway, it’s just very hard to move it. Even if your story is about an angel who came out of nowhere and saved your life. Even then, not even the angel herself can change it.
– Michael Lewis on Emir Kamenica’s Story from This American Life
The railroads & highways bit in the above reminds me a bit of…
- The Eraser by Thom Yorke “the more you try to erase me, the more that I appear”
- Lucky by Radiohead “I’m on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change”
- There, There by Radiohead “just cause you feel it, doesn’t mean it’s there”
- Runaway by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs “highways flew by”
- Runaway Train by Soul Asylum
- Fade Into You by Mazzy Star